Friday, June 29, 2007

Under attack

Kids learn about crime as we are subject of attempted robbery at the house: 7 men zoomed off when we confronted the one closest to the house. One child who clearly has no fear/sense pursued them and got the license plate. Police made a match and we hope to break up a ring.

This might not be the smartest neighborhood to rob. We don't live very far away from the former Plame Wilson home, and a nice young housewife type could turn out to be someone like her, or like me, with weapons training and karate.

Another child wants to know why I don’t seem very afraid after the initial shock. [Those of you who talked me off -that- cliff: thank you.]

Working in Russia and being kidnap potential as known American of means tends to build a reserve of strength against fear. Once you have accepted the risk you need not be afraid any more. Interesting that among bloggers there are so many who have looked death in the face one way or another.

And here is my favorite passage of all times about fear, from Kung Fu Monkey:

[quote]

FDR: Oh, I’m sorry, was wiping out our entire Pacific fleet supposed to intimidate us? We have nothing to fear but fear itself, and right now we’re coming to kick your ass with brand new destroyers riveted by waitresses. How’s that going to feel?

CHURCHILL: Yeah, you keep bombing us. We’ll be in the pub, flipping you off. I’m slapping Rolls-Royce engines into untested flying coffins to knock you out of the skies, and then I’m sending angry Welshmen to burn your country from the Rhine to the Polish border.

US. NOW: BE AFRAID!! Oh God, the Brown Bad people could strike any moment! They could strike … NOW!! AHHHH. Okay, how about .. NOW!! AAGAGAHAHAHHAG! Quick, do whatever we tell you, and believe whatever we tell you, or YOU WILL BE KILLED BY BROWN PEOPLE!! PUT DOWN THAT SIPPY CUP!!

[end quote]

I'm descended from angry Welshmen. I tend not to scare easily.

*******

2 comments:

Susan McIntosh Lewis said...

I'm descended from angry Welshmen. Not too much makes me afraid. You?

Anonymous said...

Brave Mrs! Love the "quote"...