Saturday, August 30, 2008
When being recognized by Gavin Newsom, the young mayor of SF, doesnt even make the top ten amazing things that happened this week at the convention, it's time to start writing some impressions. Back yesterday, completely amazing time, so many new friends and colleagues and the opportunity to meet people I have been working with online.
In no particular order:
1. Talked with Senator Jon Tester - complete love fest in the press room.
2. Scoop interview with George Lakoff on framing: next steps. I saw him walk by and jumped up out of my chair to meet him, got the story on the new narrative.
3. Photo of me and snarky quote on Comedy Central site. And the producer and writer are so cool. Look at 11:03, my quote at 10:28, and photo at 8:45.
4. Four on camera interviews -- not bad for one whose pre-egregious screen name was "shygirl" -- including Reuters and Cox News.
5. Awesome time with old friends including Marcy, Ian, Christy, Jane, Pach, Dave Johnson
6. Interviewed Rep. John Hall -- "Still the One" --energy policy awaits Obama's election.
7. Spoke with a dozen governors, senators, congressmen, and candidates - list later. I'm tired. Sen. Salazar -- who was amused to learn about what firedoglake means. Gov. Schweitzer. Shulman. Polis. Taddeo. Sen. Durbin.
8. Came close to, but did not speak with: Rachel Maddow, Senator Leahy, Wash State Governor Chris Gregoire, Rep. Moran, Jonathan Alter of msnbc, Katie Couric, Sen. Schumer, Sean Penn, Paul Pelosi.
9. Met so many new folks -- again the full list must wait. Noneck - who got thrown out of China for interviewing people about Tibet, this is his photo of me. BenGoshi, attorney at kos, and the whole LeftinAlabama team. Crooks&Liars' Amato - wild man and his partner who is a complete sweetheart. Aravosis/Americablog. Glenn Greenwald. Markos/kos. Duncan/Atrios. Jesse, Lauren, Evan, and Sara at Group News Blog. Tim Tagaris.
10. Helped C-Span edit an article.
11. Back channel established with an official high up in the DCCC. Long off record interview.
12. Glad I didn't bolt the first day when I was so scared I nearly left.
13. SF Mayor Gavin Newsom recognizes me.
14. A new sense of self confidence as I try new things and many of them actually work. I look great and apparently am throwing off sparks. Thanks to Team Egregious for wardrobe advice and general support, you know who you are even if I can't name you in public.
Small steps, brave small steps, add up when it counts. Thank you new friends and old friends. We are going to elect Obama/Biden and rock the world.
Friday, August 15, 2008
Sailing by day, watching the Olympics, listening to Tom Lehrer -- who is surprisingly topical even now -- and playing family games by night. Still some stormy waters from the divorce, though folks are doing their best to focus on the positive, that we are here together for a few days.
photo by thomashawk
Sunday, August 10, 2008
Saturday, August 09, 2008
"Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true"
I love this photo with the combination of dark skies, calm lake, and stunningly bright rainbow -- a double rainbow for good luck.
It's tempting to get trapped in the dark and think it will be like this forever, whether politically or personally. To get beyond that it helps to reconnect with your dreams -- your childhood dreams, your young adult hopes, your current vision for the future.
To be at a point of transition, when one set of dreams has come to fruition, but the next set are waiting for the muse, is a special challenge. I think a lot of us are experiencing this disequilibrium politically if not personally. Our ideas about the way things are supposed to be have been shaken. Developing new ideas, new dreams, takes time and creative thought and way more patience that I can find sometimes.
Would love to hear from you pups about where you are in your evolving dreams...are you living them, considering new ones, basking in the joy of completed ones, despairing that you won't ever have them come true, where are you?
Come on in, have some coffee or tea and homemade cookies, and pull up a chair....
photo by Nicholas_T at Minsi Lake, Northampton County PA