Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


Have you ever fantasized about that problem neighbor? The one who makes so much noise, parks his car right in front of your house, has the wild kids or pets?

And in this fantasy, the offending neighbor shows up on your doorstep and says he is sorry about causing the problem. Yeah, right like that's ever going to happen.

So while I was ruminating on how loud the downstairs neighbor lets her entire family slam the door, enough to be really frightening, I hear a knock on my door. Sure enough, it is the mom. She is sorry.

We have a lovely chat, I ask if there is anything I am doing that annoys them, and she offers that they can hear me in the kitchen. This makes sense as there isn't any carpet in the kitchen, and when I wear shoes in there it probably is loud for them. A truce was declared, and I think we can see the possibility of a friendship.

Good fences make good neighbors [h/t Robert Frost, a favorite of mine]

*******

photo by crowolf

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Neighbors! To new beginnings that start with a single chat, my friend.