Sunday, May 04, 2008

You Can't Get There From Here



Commenter Carelli on Carolyn Hax's column Tell Me About It has some good stuff to share:

So many people get caught up in following the plan (whatever that is) that they don't realize how unhappy they are. You never know how bad you feel until you start feeling better....

All you have to do is choose what you want to do for the next 5 years or so, because you won't be starting all over (i.e., get another 4 yr degree) if you want to change. We're a fluid society - you have to start somewhere, you did, now go look for what you want.

And it's OK if it's only what you want for 5 years. I can't wait to find out what I'm going to do when I'm 60, and when I'm 80.
[egregious bold]

This resonates with me as I ponder my new single life in California, frequently asking myself, how did it come to this, and what next?

My father was fond of the saying, with regard to giving someone driving directions, "You can't get there from here. You have to go someplace else and start over again."

*******

photo by Madeleine

1 comment:

Prairie Sunshine said...

Did you see Isabella Rosellini on Letterman the other night? She was talking about her divorce--a counselor advised her to just be single for six months and she found out she really liked it.

She also recounted helping a foster dog give birth to puppies earlier in the day.

What a much more interesting person she is now than when she seemed to be merely a spokesmodel.